THE GREAT SOLAR ECLIPSE OF APRIL 2024.
Caravanas de Mexico is centering most of our 2024 offerings to experience what is probably the greatest Solar Eclipse occuring in your lifetime. Over 4 minutes of totality. We will be using 2 locations, Mazatlan and Durango. PROTECTIVE GLASSES WILL BE PROVIDED.
Please note that we are having to pay RV Parks over a year in advance. I have had people who have changed their minds & ask for their deposit back. We cannot do that in this case. This is a major event. It is up to you to find a substitute. That is allowed.
Those who made an earlier 1/2 deposit of $400 US or $500 Canadian, need to top up before Mar 1, 2023 at this link. Failure to do so will forfeit your spot to anyone on a wait list.
PLEASE NOTE THAT QUITE A BIT OF DRY CAMPING MAY BE INVOLVED !!!!
There are 3 Stand Alone trips of 16,18 and 24 days in April, plus a Yucatan, Colonial City, Copper Canyon, Baja trip and 2 Airstream Caravans, either including the eclipse or having options to do so.
There is a preliminary schedule for all trips EXCEPT the Baja portion of the 2 Baja trips available HERE. it may be updated from time to time. We are still working on Baja.
1) A 16 and an 18 day caravan with beach time and 4 tours / 4 meals
2) A 24 day caravan with 10 tours, including a trip by train to Copper Canyon / 16 meals
3) An 90 - 92 day Yucatan - all Mexico caravan (almost full) This trip ends in Mazatlan and exits after the eclipse (3 days), or with a Copper Canyon option based on availability
4) An optional side trip on the stand alone, Yucatan, Baja and Airstream caravans to Durango and back for the eclipse (High altitude, low light pollution).
5) A 31 day Copper Canyon trip in January with an optional long term beach stay in Melaque, Jalisco that will include the Eclipse in Durango.
6) A Copper Canyon/Colonial trip in January that will also include the eclipse in Durango (approx 75 day)
Shorter term Caravans will leave Nogales Az (April 1 and April 2) and return to Nogales.
There are participation limits for all tours, and only those who pay a deposit are booked, on a "first come first serve" basis. Those who have already paid deposits are first in line.
Stand alone trips are filling fast
All caravans will involve some dry camping. Serious Astronomy buffs may prefer Durango. It is located inland at 7000 ft and has very low light pollution. The eclipse coincides with a new moon, so Astronomy should be excellent. It will cost a bit more. We have to cover the Wagon Master, Green Angel escort, Tour Guide, and security at the dry camp location. It is a rather expensive toll road to get there. It is, however, a stunning drive. Durango spots are first come - first serve, with a proposed maximum of 20 rigs. This may be raised depending on a another vacant lot being available. The chances of clear skies are the same for either location, just about 60%. It is a new moon, so Durango with its lower light pollution and high altitude is for better night astronomy and, of course, you get to transit the spectacular Devils Backbone Toll Road. Extra cost is $300 USD based on 3 nights up there
The Mazatlan groups will relocate to a baseball field at Concordia. This town is about 30 minutes inland where sea mist and fog should not cause an issue
The odds of clear skies on April 8th are the same for Mazatlan & Durango, just about 60%. The map below indicates clear sky probability, blue being best, red worst. However the eclipse is at noon and clouds usually are a morning phenomena at this time of year.
Initial Deposits to secure your spot are $750 USD or $1000 CAN for all trips. We price in USD, but accept Candian dollars at the book rate. The $1000 CAN is credited as $750 USD.
Already made a deposit?
You should be on the list, we will double check your preferences upon request.
Prices for Stand alone trips have been set below. Other trips may vary slightly if days are added or subtracted, as we firm up schedules. Expect two 5% price increases in 2023, but once you pay a deposit, your price will not go up.
Yucatan & Baja Groups
Yucatan caravan participants may return with their own group (exit Mexico on April 12th) or add on either the northbound portion of the 24 - Day program at a reduced price. The same is true for Airstream and Baja groups. Baja groups must pay their own ferry fare across from La Paz or return north to California. .They have time to go south again frorm Nogales if they wish to do so.
Permits and Insurance
See our pages at Border and Insurance for information. Once you have paid a depsoit you have access to our comprehensive customer manual.
Please note, there are no previous customer discounts for stand alone trips. There are for the others. Our 3% discount for Cash, check or e-tranfers is in effect.
Stand alone trip information
16 Day or 18 Day Caravan - Max 24 rigs (12 each) . 18 Day one is +$150. One or other may not be available. Put preference in comments box in sign up form and we will let you know. As of Dec 16th, 2022 there are 4 spaces left.
4 tours 4 meals
$2800 USD, $150 single discount
- April 2nd - Rendezvous Desert Diamond Casino I-19 south of Tucson
- April 3rd - Cross border, drive to San Carlos - Welcome dinner
- April 4th - Drive to Los Mochis
- April 5th - Drive to Mazatlan
- April 6th - Mazatlan - Pulmonia Tour- lunch
- April 7th - Move to dry camping eclipse area in Concordia
- April 8th - Eclipse day, drive back to Mazatlan
- April 9th - Mazatlan
- April 10th - Mazatlan - Country tour - lunch
- April 11th - Drive to Las Glorias
- April 12th - Las Glorias
- April 13th - Drive to Huatabampito (beach)
- April 14th - Huatabampito
- April 15th - Drive to San Carlos - Farewell dinner
- April 16th - Tour in San Carlos
- April 17th - Drive to USA
NOTE: 18 day itinerary is the same as the 16, except 2 nights at Celestino, April 11th & 12th, then the same schedule out as the 16 day. Note, some on this trip will have the option to travel down 1 day earlier to balance out the numbers on a volunteer basis. No extra charge
24 Day caravan (Copper Canyon) - Max 12 rigs. SPACE AVAILABLE
10 tours, 16 meals, 3 nights hotel at Copper Canyon
$4950 USD $150 single discount.
Note El Fuerte is where the Copper Canyon tours are done from, Schedule depends on train schedules, there are 3 nights up there. April 6th to 9th will depend if you picked Durango.
- April 1st - Rendezvous Desert Diamond Casino I-19 south of Tucson
- April 2nd - Cross border, drive to San Carlos - Welcome dinner
- April 3rd - Drive to Los Mochis
- April 4th - Drive to Mazatlan
- April 5th - Mazatlan- Country tour - lunch
- April 6th - Mazatlan - Pulmonia Tour - lunch
- April 7th - Move to dry camping eclipse area in Concordia
- April 8th - Eclipse day
- April 9th - Drive to Mazatlan if in Durango
- April 10th - Drive to El Fuerte, El Zorro Dinner Show - dinner
- April 11th - El Fuerte and Copper Canyon - Tours in both
- April 12th - El Fuerte and Copper Canyon
- April 13th - El Fuerte and Copper Canyon
- April 14th - El Fuerte and Copper Canyon
- April 15th - El Fuerte and Copper Canyon
- April 16th - El Fuerte
- April 17th - Huatabampito
- Apirl 18th - Huatabampito
- April 19th - Huatabampito
- April 20th - Alamos
- April 21st -Alamos Tour - lunch - Musicians eve walk
- April 22nd - Drive to San Carlos - Farewell mea
- April 23rd - Tour San Carlos
- April 24th - Rancho Betania pot luck and bonfire
- April 25th - Drive to USA
Note this trip may have some adjustments to match train schedule
Pets are not allowed on train, except seeing eye dogs, but we arrange pet care.
You must choose one of the exit options below for the Yucatan Caravan, as it officially ends on April 9th in Mazatlan, not Nogales. This is to allow flexibility. Some of these options (not the 7 day exit) may be available to the Baja groups.
1) 3 day quick exit $300 USD (note this may vary, count on $100 a day, no tours, one meal) $150 a day for NON Yucatan participants. Cross into US April 12-13
2) 16 day caravan exit (actually will be 7 days northbound) $1000 USD
3) 25 day Copper Canyon exit (actually will be 16 days northbound) $3000 USD, reduced price for Yucatan participants, $3500 for any add ons or independant travelers who wish to participate
Durango Option - Max 20 rigs
Price $300 based on 3 days up there.
- April 6th - Drive Mazatlan to San Juan hot springs near Durango
- April 7th - Durango city tour (in lieu of tours in Mazatlan)
- April 8th - Early drive to dry camp at Guadalupe Aguilera ( 1.25 hours)
- April 9th - Back to Mazatlan or Celestino
- April 10th - re join your original group for exit
We have to price 3 nights camping in Mazatlan into the price for this option, even though you won't be there. This is to ensure we can maintain the spots This is why there is a surcharge
Colonial Caravan and Copper Canyon with extension will do quick exit on April 10th. These have plenty of room still. They both include Copper Canyon southbound. Prices for NON Stand alone trips are on our prices page. See link above.
Below are some photos of the 3 trips. The Mazatlan - Durango Highway is an expensive toll highway, but it is one of the world's most spectacular drives. There are over 115 bridges, the Baluarte Bridge is the world's second highest (almost 2000 ft) - we can stop on it. There are also 61 tunnels, one of them 3 km long.
These are the 2 dry camp locations, Concordia and Guadalupe Aguilera. They are near Mazatlan and Durango, respectively, in the path of totality. Sign up using the form at the bottom of the page.